This changelog format is based on Keep a Changelog and adheres to Semantic Versioning.
- Encounter Management Tool
- Search Games
- RPG Survey - Play Style
- Welcome onboarding screen for first-login
- Messaging: The system will automatically prevent duplicate messages being sent (usually by accident).
- Add Game: Parser created for Warhorn. If you provide a link to a public Warhorn.net event (e.g. PF Mod: The Witchwar Legacy) HeroMuster will automatically try and pre-fill data in your game listing.
- Parser created for Tabletop.Events.
- Parser created for Roll20 LFG listings.
- Shop: Dice Candies discount code.
- Add Game: Was not properly obeying notification settings when you disabled getting an email when a connection adds a game. Fixed.
- Warhorn parser wasn't respecting 24 hour time format. Fixed.
- Add Game: Bug preventing edits from properly saving due to malformed HTML (missing DIV).
- Add Game: HTML now properly being removed from listings.
Add Games (online or in-person)
Games can now be created on HeroMuster. Furthermore, your connections will be notified when you create a new game. All game pages are visible to the public, but certain details (address, last name) are suppressed for people who are not connected to you.
Finally, you can view games on the profile page, your home page, and of course, view your connection's games on your home page as well.
- Search: Profile images for pages beyond the first are loaded after the initial page load is complete and ready. Once again, this speeds up the overall results.
- Search: RPG Search and Where to Play moved to the top as they are the most heavily used options.
- Search: Scope of possible accounts increased by 250%.
- Search: Database requests reduced by 90%, increasing speed of first byte (initial page load) on the larger pool of possible accounts.
- Messages layout on large screens improved to make better use of available space, especially for names (left column).
- Feedback becomes visible on the page after either accepting or declining (previously it was only visible on the page if accepted).
Messaging is Now Available
You can now send messages (max 5000 characters) between accounts. This is a great way to share an email address (for lengthy conversations) or just send a message along with your connection request. Messages are only kept for 30 days before they are completely erased from the system.
Maybe you just want to send me your thoughts on the new feature.
HeroMuster Coins: PayPal Now Supported
You can now purchase coins through Paypal. A new button will appear below the Stripe integration (Credit Card, Apply Pay, Google Pay) which can be used to initiate the transaction with PayPal.
This includes not only from the home screen but also the option to buy coins via PayPal in order to tip a GM after giving them feedback.
- Search page size reduced by 75%, including reducing the number of network requests by 80%.
- Technical Details: Profile images are resized and base64 encoded prior to the page loading, causing everything to load faster and less kilobytes transferred.
- Search: Where to Play is no longer reset to in-person and online when changing the RPG you are searching for. Instead, the RPG is changed and the location type remains the same with the new search results.
HeroMuster Shop: Freebies and Swag
The HeroMuster Shop is the place to go for RPG and HeroMuster related freebies as well as a few select offerings that require the use of your HeroMuster coins.
While the selection is currently limited, keep checking back for more offerings soon!
- Connection requests will now display at the top of My Connections on your home page, rather than in their own separate area.
- The left column space will now be used for Messaging access and unread messages.
You can now add your Pathfinder/Starfinder Society (PFS) number and Adventurer's League (DCI) number to your account.
Users can also search based on those numbers, making it easy for players to give feedback to GMs who run organized play games.
- More RPGs: Ubiquity (Hollow Earth Expedition, All for One, Desolation), Scion, Mutant (Year Zero etc), MechWarrior (Classic BattleTech), Magun, KULT, John Sinclair, GUMSHOE (Trail of Cthulhu, Bubblegumshoe, Ashen Stars), Fragged, Dreamchaser, Trudvang Chronicles, City of Mist, BEER Engine (KAMB3E)
- Pagination is now available for search results. Users that are not logged in are still limited to 25 results.
- New badges added (no, I won't tell you which ones or how they are earned; it's a fun surprise).
- In search, when choosing Where to Play, any previous RPG selection was previously ignored (oops).
- Added an alert for nearby results showing the distance to the closest result (and color coded green for < 100 miles).
- The database record of the last time you logged in wasn't taking into account auto-login due to remember me cookie. This has been changed, mostly for the purposes of better search results.
- Rolled back to Bootstrap 4.0 (from 4.1) due to a conflict between some inline CSS and v4.1 CSS relating to the navigation menu button.
- Requires redoing all critical css so it's been put on hold since v4.1 isn't critical
- RPGs added: Pathfinder Society, Pathfinder 2, Starfinder Society, Old School Renaissance (OSR), HeroQuest 2 (Glorantha), Eclipse Phase, FASA
- Search filter messaging now reinforces how location information is used (and that logging in gives higher accuracy).
- Search results give 40% more weight to location when choosing the in-person only filter.
- The Hipster Badge and Explorer Badge have both been retired; congrats to those that earned them.
- Updated to Bootstrap v4.1.
Non-US postal codes were not being processed properly, thus leaving your location-based search results to be... underwhelming.
The system has back-filled the missing lat/long data and will now properly store the data when creating a new account or saving a new postal code in your Account > Profile.
Version 1.0 is Live!
The frontpage redesign has been released and HeroMuster is now launched! Pops open a barrel of mead.
- Feedback now counts as 10% of match quality in search results.
- Location match weighting was reduced by 10% overall to make room.
Feedback for GMs and Players
The Give Feedback button is now live across all profiles. This isn't a simple rating system; the goal is to get useful feedback for GMs. The feedback questionnaire is designed to be easy to fill out, but give a broad acknowledgement of the skills that make up the pillars of a great GM.
Furthermore, both GM and Player feedback includes a comment box that allows you to communicate only to the recipient; in other words, comments are never visible to anyone else. This was important to allow, for instance, a player to express gratitude for a GM handling a sensitive X-Card like issue at the table.
Speaking of gratitude, feedback given to GMs from other HeroMuster account holders enables the ability to tip the GM with HeroMuster coins, which can be earned within HeroMuster in small quantities or purchased with USD.
- GM feedback (public ratings)
- Player feedback (private ratings)
- Player feedback given to others (average rating shown)
The top navigation now has a My Profile link which is actually the same for anyone: https://heromuster.com/me. This page actually is a redirect that will take you to your profile page (if you are logged in).
- RPGs listed in profiles are now clickable: They will perform a search for roleplayers that share that RPG.
- Search results will now display a green check to signify results that you have already connected to.
- Minor HTML errors.
- Accessibility code, mostly alt tags for profile images, improved to return no errors via WAVE.
- New notifications are available on your Account page related to receiving feedback.
- Badges are now visible on your profile page (if you have any).
- Board Games and Card Games were removed from the RPG list.
GM and Player Search
You can now search for roleplayers on HeroMuster. The results will sort differently depending on if you are logged into your account; results will be tuned to match your profile when logged in.
To that end, the more complete your profile, the better the results will be when searching (and others searching for you).
- The navigation now groups HeroMuster features that are not core to the site under dropdowns (e.g. Open Legend Tools is under RPG Tools).
You can now purchase HeroMuster coins from the home page. All payments are handle by Stripe, a well-trusted payment processor. This means that purchases of coins can be done with Google or Apple Pay on mobile devices.
HeroMuster Coins are a currency that can be used to tip GMs for a great game, donated to Heroes Unlatched, or can be spent on HeroMuster loot and RPG related goods.
The shop will go live shortly after launch.
- The Open Legend tools site now has a built-in auto-login feature for those who maintain a HeroMuster account and chose the Remember Me option to set a secure login cookie in your browser. This means you are logged in on page load, without clicks or redirects.
- Font altered to display numbers with the same linear spacing (no numbers that seem higher or lower than others). Same font, just a different part of the font.
- Added additional caching for the font files to load the site even faster on repeat visits (including different browsing sessions).
- Badges are now enabled. All verified accounts have been assigned their first badge: the Hipster Badge. See your home page to learn more.
- Editing text fields (e.g. Real Name, Postal Code, Social Links, Description) in your account page will now auto-save when you click away from that field (most users were not clicking the save button and leaving the page; this solves that).
- The pre-launch message was moved to the bottom of the hamburger menu on smaller devices (e.g. phones) to reduce visual confusion.
- Updated to Font Awesome 5.0.8.
- Save button spacing was improved for the account page.
Connect with your Fellow Heroes
You can now connect with other heroes on the site through their public profile page. Connections allow you to be notified directly about RPG activity in your network.
A new home screen shows any pending connection requests along with a few placeholders for features to come.
- Profile page meta description now more detailed (more personal than previously if sharing on social media).
- The brand image and title HeroMuster in the top-left of the navigation now brings you to your home screen rather than the frontpage of the site (if you are logged in).
- Users logging in without a redirect (e.g. not being sent from the Open Legend site) will now be sent to the home screen for their account rather than redirected to the OL site. This doesn't effect those initiating the login from that site (they will still get redirected back).
- Profile pages no longer expose last name in the meta description.
- The RPG play style chart on the profile page will no longer jump around during page rendering.
- You can now remove your zipcode and leave only your country if you prefer.
- New accounts have Country and Postal Code automatically added (based on IP Address) in hopes of saving users time.
- Account Settings now asks for your Country to better localize postal codes.
- Postal Code lookup now available for non-USA addresses.
- International City and Country properly displays now on public profile pages.
Public Profile Pages Added
A public profile is now available to account holders. The first time visiting your account page a unique profile link is generated for you which can be customized (with a restricted character set).
- Last name suppression put into place on profile pages.
Account: Full Profile
You can now completely fill out your HeroMuster profile. This includes basic information (name, image, and postal code) as well as more advanced options (RPG systems, roleplaying style, and RPG type).
All of these new choices will be used to complete your HeroMuster profile (coming soon) and help match you with other players and GMs.
All existing accounts have had their names and profile images updated (no existing data overwritten) with Gravatar profile data, if available.
All new accounts, upon email verification, will automatically be checked for an existing Gravatar profile.
- You can now upload a profile image.
- There is now an RSS version of the changelog.
- Profile and Notification changes in your Account are now added to the Activity Log.
- Updated to 4.0.0 release of Bootstrap.
Progressive Web App
A Service Worker will now cache required files on your device to speed up loading times of all pages and notify you if you are offline and trying to access the site.
- Android uses may also be prompted to add HeroMuster to their Home Screen automatically.
- The Account page > Notifications section has now been enabled. Currently there is only one notification option, but as more features are built additional controls will be added.
Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) now supported. It no longer generates errors stopping you from sending verification/login emails or adding a password to the account.
- An activity log is now available on the Account page displaying all recent account activity (e.g. logins, security setting changes, etc).
- The activity log will include more information as features are added to HeroMuster.
- When adding authenticator security, entering an incorrect code will now provide useful messaging.
- When adding any secondary security (password or authenticator) to your account, all remembered device cookies will be purged from the system and require re-verification.
Remembered Device Purge
I realized that when you add a new secondary security feature, such as a password or two-factor authenticator, that constitutes a new minimum security standard. However, HeroMuster was not invalidating all previous Remember this Device cookies in this scenario, essentially allowing any of those devices to bypass this new check while the cookie was valid.
Scenario: Authorized tablet is stolen. You immediately add a password to your account to protect it. Alternatively, the logout page also offers a way to invalidate that device.
Login via Code
For users who may not receive email on the same device as the one they are trying to login, you may now opt to receive an email with a one-time-use code that can be entered into the original device rather than following a link.
A new Account Settings link in the top-right allows you to update your account security settings.
- You can add or remove secondary security settings (Password or Authenticator).
- You can choose to be forgotten (GDPR 2018), deleting your account and all personal information.
- Recent failed login attempts (bad password or authenticator code) are listed with IP and geolocation information.
- Last login (via email link) timestamp visible.
- Now running on Bootstrap v4-beta3, including minor changes to login form to fix incompatible changes from v4-beta2.
- Custom CSS added to pages reducing page rendering time by 50%. Translation: pages will be visible in < 1 second on desktop and < 2 seconds on mobile.
- When setting up a password, the backup password is no longer referred to as a code.
- When setting up an authenticator, the backup code is no longer referred to as a password.
- Account Creation and Login emails have been upgraded to HTML formatting.
Open Legend Tools: My Creations
Logged in users now have a landing page that tracks all their created characters and items called My Creations.
- Creations can be removed from the list with a single click (undo available).
- Importing characters by player name now available.
- Added help email address to post login screen.
- Login with Remember This Device cookie occurs automatically when loading the Login screen.
- Logout no longer displays erroneous errors in some browsers and properly logs out your session and Remember This Device cookie.
User accounts are now enabled requiring only an email address.
- New signups automatically detected, email verification required.
- Account security options: Emailed login link (required), Password (optional) or Google Authenticator (optional)
- Cryptographically secure Remember This Device cookie make logging back in painless.
Description of a new feature.
- Item changed.
- Item changed.
- Item changed.
- List of bug fixes.
- List of bug fixes.
Public acknowledgement of any confirmed security vulnerabilities.
Description and reasoning for soon-to-be-removed features.
Full description of removed feature.